This blog is a collation of the innumerable memories of various people's interactions with Mr. Raghu Pillai. He has touched so many lives as a Leader, Retail Guru, Mentor, Advisor, Confidante, etc, etc. This blog is a tribute to his various facets and a memory to this great person.

Friday 15 April 2011

Raghu Pillai: INSPIRATION UNPARALLELED

As my flight took off from Chennai to Mumbai on the morning of April 12th, 2011, my eyes were beginning to flood. I felt very low. Raghu Pillai’s funeral had just gotten over the previous day. The image and profile of the numerous people who crowded to carry his body which remained rich in my eyes, was one more testimony to the greatness of Raghu Pillai, the Peoples Leader!

(I have chosen to use first name basis because I was always given the liberty to do so and relate personally. For me adding a ‘Mr.’ in front of Raghu would not only bring in a formal ‘distance’  but also not be the true depiction of the Raghu I experienced)

The sudden demise of Raghu two days earlier and his farewell from this world had me stumped. I am still going through a frustrating level of helplessness when I think that Raghu is no more.

It is not often that we find an open door and an open heart with unadulterated listening and compassion in an ‘agenda rampant’ corporate environment. Many people can claim to be success stories. But there are very few who will remember their journey and care for the lives that crossed their path once they reach the top. Meet the Raghu Pillai who’s no more!

Sitting in his massive but simple office in the Spencer’s building, with his shoes off and his favourite half sleeved black shirt tucked out, Raghu’s mind would be pre-occupied and anxious about whether the request for an ‘out of policy’ salary advance by a non descript clerk sitting in some obscure corner, to buy school books for her children for the new academic year, had been seriously taken and processed by his HR Head. Twice he would make his way to the HR head’s cabin (anyway a favourite lounge for him) and enquire. And the third time he would say, “bugger if you are not going to give her the advance today, I am going to pay her from my pocket”.

I have had the honor and privilege of reporting to Raghu twice in my career. He would want to know only the intent and implication on people, whichever subject I would take to him. Beyond that he would trust me to deliver the goods. And if I had a tough issue in front of me, he would say, ‘I’ll take care of that, you just get going’.

Raghu gave a lot of space and freedom to his team. One could begin on a positive footing beyond doubt, when working with him. He cared and he protected his people. He was honest and transparent. He liked things simple, honest and straight. There was never a question of ‘playing chess with people’.

In recent times, I did not work directly with Raghu. But the fact that he was on the 9th floor, three floors away from where I was sitting, was enough to give strength and solace, irrespective of whether one was working directly with Raghu or not. ‘Here is a man who is there for me’, the common feeling most toilers of corporate organizations touched by Raghu will share, was the same feeling I was deprived of with Raghu’s untimely going. It is irreplaceable. Raghu had the higher ability of carrying the burden of others pain and anxieties. More than once I’ve had opportunities to change organizations and Raghu would get very anxious about the size of the role and if I was being offered good money…. You could feel it in the man that he genuinely cared.

I remember the lunch sessions in Bangalore with Raghu when we would go out to a famous and nearby Andhra cuisine and Raghu’s standard order would be chicken fried rice and chicken 65. I used to joke about it saying that he must be the only one who would religiously go to an Andhra food restaurant and not order anything ‘Andhra’. It was during one such session when V.Rajesh and I engaged Raghu on his impending move to Reliance Retail. We indulged in a bit of ‘due diligence’. Raghu casually said something that I still remember clearly. ‘I usually think about something only for a while (meaning no beating the crap out kind of analysis) and if the ‘light’ goes on, I take the decision, no pondering after that!”. The light did come up and he moved to Reliance :-)

I had written a few lines to be read in the condolence meeting that was held in my current organization on behalf of those who had worked with Raghu. Unfortunately, it was missed out. I share the same here below;

“For all those who had the privilege of working with Mr. Raghu Pillai, Raghu will always be known as a very caring and endearing peoples leader. He was a man of few words, sharp business acumen and had a great sense of humour. His simplicity and compassion always stood out. He touched lives irrespective of stature or success. A true karta who would put people before everything else.  Raghu Pillai is a lesson in leadership. An even greater lesson in what it means to be human. We will miss him. We pray almighty to give strength to his loved ones in this moment of grief. May his soul rest in peace”.

My heart will continue to cry. My world will never be the same again and I have no one to go and talk to anymore! Maybe I don’t want to share anything anymore!!!

Rajiv Nambiar was with RPG Enterprises / RPG Retail /Home Solutions / Future Group (proud to have shared a piece of this world during Raghu’s time from end 2001 to April 2011). He is now the Chief People Officer - Talent Design, Future Group

No comments:

Post a Comment