This blog is a collation of the innumerable memories of various people's interactions with Mr. Raghu Pillai. He has touched so many lives as a Leader, Retail Guru, Mentor, Advisor, Confidante, etc, etc. This blog is a tribute to his various facets and a memory to this great person.

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Ideal leader for women managers

Raghu Pillai had a magnetic appeal to all types of people. We found comfort and confidence in his presence – a tiny smile, a slight nod of the head, one firm handshake, and a mild tap on the back was enough to galvanize and energize us and propel us towards the goal. I ran to him whenever I was at cross roads in my career. He guided, listened, supported and pushed me to do better.
He was always straightforward and never minced words to suit  the situation. As youngsters and junior staff we watched him from far and near. Many of his interactions have left indelible marks in our mind. These will stay with us forever and be the guiding posts in our future
I would like to bring another aspect which many of you may not  have felt or noticed. He was a ideal boss or leader for women managers. He was always respectful, never once made us feel odd or sidelined, never favored us unnecessarily or softened his stand just for women folk  but provided a culture in the organization were equal opportunities were provided for both men and women. It was  truly remarkable!
My heart goes out to his children. We had the good fortune of his mentoring and guidance and it will always be with us. The children are just spreading out their wings and I hope and pray to God to provide them with wonderful guides, teachers, leaders that their father was to me and many many others.
I wish to conclude with these words of Abraham Lincoln
Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.”
Sir, you planted lots and lots of flowers! We bow our heads in reverence!
Geetha Mahadevan worked with Raghu in RPG Foodworld and Reliance Retail. She now handles Merchandising in ABRL.

No comments:

Post a Comment