This blog is a collation of the innumerable memories of various people's interactions with Mr. Raghu Pillai. He has touched so many lives as a Leader, Retail Guru, Mentor, Advisor, Confidante, etc, etc. This blog is a tribute to his various facets and a memory to this great person.

Tuesday 19 April 2011

The father of Modern Retail Trade in India

My mother asked me " Is it true that Dad's friend - Raghu Pillai is no more ?". My mother knows very few of my late fathers' (R S Venkataraman) friends and Raghu was surely one of them.

Raghu was known to our family since the days he joined RPG group - and he spent his initial days with my dad at ICIM Fujitsu. I still remember that when I was based in Chennai during my early days - dad used to ask me to meet Raghu sir once a while - for him to keep tabs on me. I even remember being asked by him then to join the Spencers retail chain - which he headed up - but I was chasing my own dreams.......We remained in touch off and on - directly and through dad, till I almost was out of his mind.

A surprise turn of events, and Raghu sir joined Reliance Retail in 2006 where I was given the responsibility of helping him settle into our company and taking care of his induction / on-boarding. I was not even sure he had placed me on the first day we met. I was to accompany him on his ride back to the airport from Nariman Point to catch up on the joining formalities etc. As we approached Bandra - and most of the work was almost done - he began his polite enquiries of my career & experiences at Reliance.

I was now sure, he had not placed me at all, and I played along. But the sharp person that he always was - he picked up my career threads and family details - and in his booming voice revealed his excitement to show he recognized me. His bear hug in the car was quite unexpected - but I was pleasantly surprised too. The rest of the short conversation was more like old friends - and I quickly gave him the phone number of dad who was then at Bangalore...

A few months later - I remember my family had come to our office at Nariman Point - to meet me in the evening - before we headed out for a movie. And as luck would have it - Raghu stepped out of the elevator, and met with us.He asked my 14 year daughter - Do you know who I am ? She politely responded with no recognition of the celebrity that she was speaking to  - Yes, my dad's colleague. To which he humbly added with a twinkle in his eye - " No my dear. I am your grandfathers friend - and now your dad's colleague. Ha Ha Ha.and swaggered away to his office" ....Dad had a good laugh at the episode, and said "Typical Raghu"

Dad passed away a few months later. And now Raghu sir.

As I think of him and the moments we shared, I recollect the surprised question that the car driver had asked me on that day we dropped him at the airport. " Saab, did you know this bada saab?" 

I reflect back on the moments we shared and bask in the pride of the truth - that yes, 'The father of Modern Retail Trade in India - Raghu Pillai, sir, knew me'

May his soul rest in peace.

R V Balasubramaniam Iyer worked with Raghu at Reliance and is now the Vice President - L&D, Reliance Industries Limited (R4G Business)

No comments:

Post a Comment