This blog is a collation of the innumerable memories of various people's interactions with Mr. Raghu Pillai. He has touched so many lives as a Leader, Retail Guru, Mentor, Advisor, Confidante, etc, etc. This blog is a tribute to his various facets and a memory to this great person.

Sunday 3 July 2011

MEMORIES OF MR. RAGHU PILLAI

Raghu left an indelible mark on all those who were fortunate to come in contact with him.  His charismatic personality, unique style, charming sense of humour and his ability to make people around him feel wanted, endeared him to people in no time at all. 

On his birthday, I'm reminded of a few incidents that bring forth Raghu's amazing sense of humour - incidents that'll remain etched in my memory for all times to come.  His one liners, delivered rather matter of factedly and timed to absolute perfection, would put Wayne Brady to shame.

Raghu's penchant to start humming at the drop of a hat was legendary. I once asked Sriram Mahadevan what exactly Raghu hummed all the time - 'tu roo ru ru ru ru' - given that the key and time signature were always constant.  Later that afternoon, Sriram actually mentioned to Raghu that Manu was keen to know what he hummed all the time. Without looking up, without a change in expression, without discontinuing to do whatever he was doing,  pat came Raghu's answer in his signature sing song manner  - 'usko bol uski death knell gaata hoon'.

I was to meet Raghu one afternoon. Some guests from Germany unexpectedly dropped in to see me, just as I was leaving for Raghu's office. I sent him an sms informing him about these visitors and asked him if I could see him after an hour or so.  His response read 'fttm'.  Unable to figure out what he meant, I messaged back with a couple of question marks.  The next instant I figured what he'd meant and messaged him again saying I'd understood and would see him 'first thing tomorrow morning'.  His response had me in splits - 'smt by' (smart boy)

Raghu was once to have a meeting with a very well known external agency that we were considering signing up. The next morning I walked up to him and asked him how the meeting went and what he felt about this agency. Raghu's response rings in my ears to this day - 'my 10 year old doberman can do a better job than them'

I was in a meeting with Raghu in his room one morning, when Sriram Srinivasan opened the door, peered into the room, said something to Raghu, shut the door back again and left.  A couple of seconds later Sriram was back and he said 'Manu, is that you ? I just didn't recognise you with your beard'.  Right then, again without looking up, Boss goes -  'forget his beard, check out his ear rings'.  Till then, I was quite sure that Raghu hadn't noticed my recently acquired accessories - he had said nothing about them to me.

My nine year old son Uday never ever got to meet him, but interestingly even he shared a bond with Raghu.  Uday would call me once in a while at work and asked to speak with 'Raghu uncle'.  My colleague Mohit Aggarwal would generally came to my rescue and speak with Uday, posing as Raghu. 

Raghu - you will forever live in the hearts of the innumerable people whose lives you touched. God bless you. OM SAI RAM.


Manu Kapur worked with Mr. Raghu Pillai as the Sr. Vice President & Biz Head - Home Furnishings & Décor at Reliance Retail Ltd and is now the Purchase Development Leader, Global Trading - Textiles, IKEA Trading (Hong Kong) Ltd

1 comment:

  1. I thank you for posting this blog on Raghu Pillai. I had the opportunity of being his colleague in Dunlop India Ltd during 1981 to 1985. www.linkedin.com/in/rjaikishan

    ReplyDelete