This blog is a collation of the innumerable memories of various people's interactions with Mr. Raghu Pillai. He has touched so many lives as a Leader, Retail Guru, Mentor, Advisor, Confidante, etc, etc. This blog is a tribute to his various facets and a memory to this great person.

Saturday 16 April 2011

RAGHU – THE TRUE THALAPATI & THE BORN LEADER

I had to convince myself innumerable number of times to write about Raghu post his demise since even while I am writing this I am unable to convince myself that our dear Raghu is no more with us.  When I heard the news last Sunday (early morning) I was shattered and could not come to terms with myself about the reality which I need to face after reaching Chennai. As I drove from Chennai airport to Shangrila I was still fighting with myself as to how would I manage to see the motionless Raghu. As I saw the DEMI-GOD, lying inside the refrigerated unit still, lot of times the following thought crossed my mind that Raghu would get up and say “KOI KAAM DHAAM NAHIN HAIN KYA?”.  Was just not being able to accept the fact that Raghu is lying still like a log. Alas, the next day afternoon when finally Raghu’s body was pushed inside the burning chamber, I could not control my tears and not surprisingly I was not the only one whose eyes became moist. That’s Raghu for all of us Ladies and Gentlemen . The strange factor with Raghu was irrespective of the length of association with Raghu, I find people only bewitched by his towering personality and his leadership skills.
Fortunately, I was privileged to work directly with Raghu as Vice President - Ops and Strategy in Reliance Retail for a solid 3 years.  In Raghu I found a person who carried a Larger than Life image, a leader who lead from the front, a human who would worry about my personal problem (though would not show it explicitly), a professional who is demanding as well as inspirational, a professional who believed in living life in his own terms and conditions. I came cold to Retail and within a few months the fact that I was into the thick of strategizing the Retail venture of Reliance , the credit goes to Raghu. The confidence which he used to infuse into each and everyone who came in contact with him is what one looks forward to a true leader. Raghu believe in creating Leaders.
Some of best qualities that I have noticed in Raghu is his incredible ability to spot talent and encourage them towards achieving more than possibly they themself would have believed in. His memory was simply an Elephant's memory. His grasp on numbers and capturing the big picture and setting a vision was unparalleled. I have never come across a Leader for whom so many able followers would die for.
I have had the honor of spending lot of quality time with Raghu during my span of 3 years with Reliance Retail. Whether its Bombay Gymkhana, or a roadside stall or a small Bar-cum-Restaurant near Reliance Corporate Park or Mahesh Lunch Home I cherish each and every moment that I spent with my Corporate Hero Raghu Pillai.
Just to add to what Rajesh has quoted in his piece, some of the trademark dialogues of Raghu which still vibrates in my ears are :-
  1. “KOI KAM DHAAM NAHIN HAIN KYA”
  2. SRIRAM MOTA MOTA BOL WHATS THE CRUX OF THE ISSUE AND WHAT SHOULD WE DO
  3. MERE KO TU SIRF EK PANNE KA EXECUTIVE SUMMARY DIKHA. BAAKI ANGREZI BAKI SAB KO PADHNE KE LIYE DE DENA
  4. “MY GOLDEN RETRIEVER CAN DO A BETTER JOB THAN THIS”
  5. IN CASE OF ANY PERSONAL PROBLEM THAT ONE DISCUSSES WITH HIM, HE WOULD SAY –“LET ME APPLY MY MIND ON IT”
I can keep going on and on and on and as I keep writing I am getting more and more emotional.
Last but not the least – That majestic, hypnotic smile of Raghu…  Just cant get enough of Raghu… Oh God, what was the hurry??
Raghu – You were, you are and you will remain amongst the heart of all of us and each and every individual who has worked with you at any point of time, would surely try to live your values all through our lives.
May your soul rest in peace.

Sriram S. Mahadevan worked with Raghu at Reliance Retail and is now Executive Vice President – Uninor

No comments:

Post a Comment